My Friends and Stakeholders of UCC:
I assumed the Presidency and shepherd servanthood of UCC on 01 February 2018 with great humility, hesitancy and awe knowing fully well the tough challenges and great opportunities that the institution faces towards financial stability, building competence, integrity, character and faith…for academic quality and excellence in instruction, research and extension programs and services.
With God’s help, full support of the UCC Board of Trustees, Management, Faculty & Staff and Other Stakeholders and our generous donors/sponsors, the state of the overall health of UCC is now in the “Recovery Room” from its original state in the “Emergency Room” when we first came in more than a year ago. This means that although, we are still faced with major financial, administrative and academic challenges to attain our collegial VISION, MISSION and Strategic Goals, with God as our Chief Executive Officer (CEO), slowly and steadily coupled with the resiliency of our resolved to push forward our UCC “Transformative Governance Agenda for Change”, we have already accomplished much, but, much still needs to be done to achieve our teaching ministry of “Whole Person Education” (Intellectually, Spiritually and Ethically) at UCC. In fact, the Full List of 2019 Top 200 Most Popular Universities in the Philippines Online Published by the Summit Express shows that UCC is Number 194. On the other hand, the 2019 Philippine University Ranking of 231 Top Philippine Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) shows that UCC is Ranked No. 205 while many HEIs are unranked in 2019.
To date, our major program/project accomplishments are summarized below:
1. Approved the UCC Revised Organizational Structure beginning SY 2018-2019 and Beyond for more efficiency and effectiveness in services delivery;
2. Approved increased in Tuition and Miscellaneous Fees by DepEd, CHED and TESDA starting SY 2018-2019 for increased revenues;
3. Created a functioning UCC Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) and Working Secretariat to take charge of all procurements based on approved guidelines and policies for transparency, accountability and utmost economy;
4. Implemented new UCC Personnel Ranking with increased in salary rates and benefits based on Rank and in compliance with the DOLE Regional Minimum Wage Order/Law;
5. Implementation of the UCC Enhanced Student Information and Accounting Systems (SIAS) 3.X Desktop Online/Automation Project in partnership with Digital Software Technology Consultancy, Inc.;
6. Installed UCC Website, Facebook, reliable WIFI Internet Connections for all with technical and IT hardware and accessories donations of our generous friend and donor-Mr. Jeff Bruns of U.S.A. through the assistance of Revs. Joel & Eunice Lewton;
7. Established a new UCC Internet Café and Computer Research Center with a full-time staff and installed the Widdoes St. Side Safety Railings in partnership with Bethany Hospital;
8. Up-graded/rehabilitated our Physical Facilities and procured additional equipment and supplies including rehab of the main Capistrano Building Conference Hall, Classrooms, Guest Rooms, Laboratory & Computers & Accessories, Medical & Dental Chairs and supplies, Air-conditioning Units, etc.. We also updated our Physical/Property Inventory Report 2019;
9. Offered New Academic Programs in Consortium with the Philippine Christian University (PCU), Manila for priority undergraduate and graduate degree programs such as BSSW, MPA, MHA, MPH and Ph.D. in Development Administration, etc.;
10. Sustained Accreditation/Re-Accreditation Status of Academic Programs/Courses by the National ACSCU Accrediting Agency, Inc.. Accreditation is a recognition of an educational institution as possessing high standard facility or excellence beyond the standards prescribed by DepEd, CHED and TESDA;
11. Increased students scholarship program with the increased in the current total student enrollment of 1,710 SY 2019-2020 from 1,679 students in SY 2018-2019 (1st Semester);
12. Started the Construction of the Four-Story UCC-Alumni Building Project in partnership with the UCC-IAA and UCC Global Alumni Association from the UCC Fund Counterpart of One Million Pesos (Php 1,000,000.00). Construction is on-going with Engr. Ressie A. Estrella as Project Engineer & Business Manager of UCC-IAA. This is still a work in progress;
13. Successfully conducted an External Audit of the UCC Financial Statements ending May 31, 2019 by the Obiano Accounting & Consultancy Services, Inc., as required; and
14. UCC has up-dated all its Personnel SSS Premium contributions with the full payment of Php 3,108,664.90 interests and penalties of accounts accumulated from previous years (1998, 2000, 2003, 2015, 2016 to Jan. 10, 2017). All UCC personnel are very happy about this financial achievement.
Finally, we are pleased to inform all our friends and benefactors that UCC will celebrate its 109th Founding Anniversary 2019 from November 16, 2019 to November 30, 2019 with the Theme: “Celebrating God’s Great Faithfulness Through Quality Whole Person Education.” As we celebrate the UCC Journey, may we all be reminded on what God said in Jeremiah 29:11-13: “I alone know the plans I have for you; Plans to bring about the future you hope for. Then you will call upon me, you come and pray to me, and I will answer you, you will seek me, and you will find me, because you will seek me with all your heart.” Yes, because without God, we can do nothing but with God even the seemingly impossible becomes possible for His ultimate glory and honor.
May we respectfully encourage all our friends and stakeholders to visit and see for yourself the progress and developments and what is happening in our school, “for the love of God and UCC.”
TO GOD BE THE GLORY.
GEOFFREY S. TILAN, Ed.D.